[7.00 patch+]

« Older   Newer »

1.     +3   +1   -1

Spammer King

Group
    Administrator

Status

Dota 2 Reborn Mod Install Tutorial

Here we go again.. Volvo released a new update of Dota (7.00) that fucked up mods once again (who remember when source 2 came out?).
    Basically this time for coding purpose aka faster loading in-game provided by the new pre-match they had to change the script behind VPK so the engige can load the files inside faster, this basically means that our biggest friend GCFScape "stopped working". It really doesn't, it still works but it's meant to decode old .VPK so the new Doto Pack can't be accessed anymore by it. Luckly after the reborn update and the Source 2 programmers started to work to create a new Source 2 Compiler and 'till now they managed to create "Valve Resource Viewer", intended to open and view Source 2 files, so we can use it from now on to extract files from the new VPK. (Since is still a "beta" software you can extract only one file per time, but that's not a big deal).
    If Volvo change the code behind VPK of course my inject method will not work anymore too, because the script used to build it is meant for old VPK.
    Said that now you know why you HAVE TO FOLLOW ONLY ONE AND ONLY THIS TUTORIAL to install mods and playing online with it, let's start!

BEFORE POSTING SHIT AND STUPID QUESTIONS HERE CHECK ASK, AND SEND THE QUESTION THERE (OFC BEFORE CHECK IF SOMEONE ELSE MADE THE SAME ONE), YOU CAN SEND AN EMAIL TO: [email protected] BUT I RECOMMEND USING ASK - ALSO JOIN THE DISCORD CHANNEL (THE LINK IS AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM, JUST PRESS THE DISCORD LOGO)
    GCFScape now works again, you are free to use whatever software you prefer to access the pak01_dir.vpk

0) This is not needed but will help not finding bugs. Right click on Dota 2 (Steam) and verify integrity of cache

1)Download this Tool Pack i made.

Install

2)For installing the mods you can avoid the folder "Valve Resource Viewer" even delete it if you want

3)After download the mod/mods you want drop the files (models/materials/particles/ecx..) inside the folder "pak01_dir"

4)Run "Create vpk-archive from pak01_dir folder.bat". It will create a VPK with inside the files of the mods

5)Copy or cut the "pak01_dir.vpk" and navigate to where you installed Dota 2 (..\Steam\steamapps\common\dota2 beta\game\)

6)Create a folder and name it as you wish, i recommend simple names, let's use "mods" for the sake of this tutorial

7)Paste inside the "mods" folder (that you just created) the file "pak01_dir.vpk" copied before

8) Now go back and open the folder "dota" (..\Steam\steamapps\common\dota2 beta\game\dota\)

9)Find a file called "gameinfo.gi" and edit it with a text editor (doesn't matter which one but i recommend Notepad++)

10) Add 3 lines:

-Before "Game_Language dota_*LANGUAGE*" add "Game mods" (if your folder created before is named "mods". change the name of the string if you called with another name)

-Before "Game_LowViolence dota_lv" add "Game mods" (same as before)

-Before "Mod dota" add "Mod mods" (same as before)

11)Save it and enjoy playing with mods!
    Here a screen of how the "gameinfo.gi" should look like if using the name "mods" for the folder.
    Also the download for the Tools: https://mega.nz/#!2ZdxxDYa!XDURVkE...VhFSIjg-15DU6cY

8uaIdeA

Create

2)In the Tool Pack there is inside a folder called "Valve Resource Viewer", this will be our new GCFScape.

3)Run "ValveResourceViewer.exe" and press Open on the top left corner

4)Navigate to the dota folder (..\Steam\steamapps\common\dota2 beta\game\dota\) and open "pak01_dir.vpk"

5)Now is the same as it was for GCFScape but you can only extract one file at a time, so will be a little more "painful" but is pretty much the same

Video Tutorial
    Video

Edited by LikeShady - 30/1/2017, 20:03

2. Görkem Onat
        +1   -1

User deleted

Bro this is the way that i was doing for the last 6 months. I can't see any new detail here ?

3. arcadium
        +1   -1

User deleted

how to decompile now?? after new update 7.00 please help me
    other program or gcfscape??
    please

4.     +1   -1

Spammer King

Group
    Administrator

Status
    CITAZIONE (Görkem Onat @ 14/12/2016, 21:10) 
    Bro this is the way that i was doing for the last 6 months. I can't see any new detail here ?

a lots of ppl had problem cuz there were more than one way to install mods

CITAZIONE (arcadium @ 14/12/2016, 21:29) 
    please

i've lost faith in humanity.................

5.     +1   -1

Group

Status
    QUOTE (arcadium @ 12/14/2016, 09:29 PM) 
    please

"Valve Resource Viewer"

its up there m8 if u just red its the 2nd note > > > :ph34r: :ph34r:

6. Görkem Onat
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (LikeShady @ 14/12/2016, 21:33) 
    QUOTE (Görkem Onat @ 14/12/2016, 21:10) 

a lots of ppl had problem cuz there were more than one way to install mods

QUOTE (arcadium @ 14/12/2016, 21:29) 
    please

i've lost faith in humanity.................

I was just editing the values on items_game.txt if i need an effect changement. If that way will work again, i will do the same. But i am confused why people crying about that if the way is just that...

7. Janry G-Malvar
        +1   -1

User deleted

bro. im not into ARCANA or SETS modding. im just using mods like terrain, huds, loading screens, particle effects, item icons, heroes icons. do u know the reason why my HEROES ICONS not working. resource > flash3 > images > heroes. before there is no problem but now that is the only folder that is not working (huds and items on same folder is working. thanks man

8. Flyzone
        +1   -1

User deleted

After I download a weather effect for example, in your second step you say to put the files inside the pak01_dir folder but you don't say where to put the pak01_dir folder from the tools pack. One more thing, after I completed those steps, is the mod installed and that's it?
    This website is incredibly confusing for someone who never modded before, you should've included a complete tutorial in this topic and not take for granted that everyone modded before.

9. swordblader
        +1   -1

User deleted

thanks shady appreciated

10. cuocsongxanh
        +1   -1

User deleted

it's work with me, with models dont need scripts, trying with other models

11. Bůi Tůng Dng
        +1   -1

User deleted

Big thanks for Shady. Hope you can fix Monkey King soon :)

12. Janry G-Malvar
        +1   -1

User deleted

bro. im not into ARCANA or SETS modding. im just using mods like terrain, huds, loading screens, particle effects, item icons, heroes icons. do u know the reason why my HEROES ICONS not working. resource > flash3 > images > heroes. before there is no problem but now that is the only folder that is not working (huds and items on same folder is working. thanks man

13.     +1   -1

Spammer King

Group
    Administrator

Status
    CITAZIONE (Flyzone @ 15/12/2016, 01:54) 
    After I download a weather effect for example, in your second step you say to put the files inside the pak01_dir folder but you don't say where to put the pak01_dir folder from the tools pack. One more thing, after I completed those steps, is the mod installed and that's it?
    This website is incredibly confusing for someone who never modded before, you should've included a complete tutorial in this topic and not take for granted that everyone modded before.

CITAZIONE
    5)Copy or cut the "pak01_dir.vpk" and navigate to where you installed Dota 2 (..\Steam\steamapps\common\dota2 beta\game\)

6)Create a folder and name it as you wish, i recommend simple names, let's use "mods" for the sake of this tutorial

7)Paste inside the "mods" folder (that you just created) the file "pak01_dir.vpk" capied before

weather effects are made by changing a file called "items_game.txt" this file needs to be updated when valve update the same adding new things, in case of 7.00 the added a lots, so basically all of these mods are broken now and need fix.

in the tutorial a say where to put the pak01_dir.vpk after the program creates it, check steps 5,6 and 7

CITAZIONE (Janry G-Malvar @ 15/12/2016, 00:16) 

it works, they icons change..

G4zoOHM

CITAZIONE (Bůi Tůng Dng @ 15/12/2016, 05:14) 
    Big thanks for Shady. Hope you can fix Monkey King soon :)

fix what? if you mean the model change when leveling up the ult it's like CM's dog, it will never be there

14. faobvb09
        +1   -1

User deleted

so 2 mods its not working ?
    example : i install terrain monkey king mods, after succes mods. i check in game and its work but after me install all arcana, and check in game only arcana mods installed and terrain its back to default. can u tell me how to install arcana without erase terrain ?

15. Görkem Onat
        +1   -1

User deleted

Shady, i have just updated my game. Almost %90 of my mods including arcanas and immortals stay there. I am really surprised how it could be. The only problem looks like Monkey King. He is bugged as fuck. Any idea how can i fix him?

https://postimg.org/image/71npzd241/

Edited by Görkem Onat - 15/12/2016, 13:27

76 replies since 14/12/2016, 20:48   37486 views